60 Ways To Save Money Today
Saving money is always important. For most people, it is a part of every decision they make.
With the economy in a precarious position, we all need to work on saving more money! Practicing good money-saving habits now will help you in the future when the money might be tighter than ever. The tips below will help you save more money and might even give you more ideas on how to save money in other areas of your life.
With that said, here are 60 Ways To Save Money Today:
1. Eat up the leftovers in the fridge. It’s just food!
2. Eat from your fridge first to use up the food that will go bad the fastest.
3. Do not eat out – unless you scored a free meal for yourself or your family!
4. Use your gift cards – saving them for some rainy day is wasting money.
5. Use coupons on things you buy.
6. Use your store loyalty cards. Load coupons and store specials on them.
7. Sign up for free samples and accept them when shopping. Free is good!
8. Use sites like Swagbucks to earn points for gift cards and Ebates to earn money back on online purchases.
9. Buy soda pop from the store instead of the convenience store. You will save over $1.00 a bottle and $.50 a can.
10. Better yet, give up soda pop and drink water instead.
11. Use your public library for books and movies. If the library doesn’t have the book you want, they can usually get it for you in a different way!
12. Make your coffee and tea at home instead of buying it at the fancy coffee places.
13. Check the pressure in your tires. Properly inflated tires will help your fuel mileage and save money on gas!
14. Bring your lunch and snacks to work. Eating out is just expensive!
15. Shop for clothes at thrift stores and garage sales.
16. Make a budget and stick to it!
17. Commit to buying no new (or used) clothes for the next year. See how long you can go without buying clothes.
18. Start a no-spend month. Set boundaries and see what you can live without.
19. Buy used instead of new. You rarely do need anything brand new in this day and age.
20. Bring your snacks and drinks to kids’ ball games. Buying at the concession stand can be expensive!
21. Have a movie night at home instead of going to the movie theater. Pop your own popcorn, rent a movie, and relax in your home for a lot less money!
22. Cut your own bangs, groom your eyebrows, and even trim your own hair. I save myself $10 by cutting my own bangs tweezing my eyebrows in between hair cuts.
23. Make your own laundry detergent instead of buying the expensive stuff at the store.
24. Make your cleaners with vinegar, water, baking soda, and salt. If you already have essential oils, add them in too!
25. Wash your vehicles at home. Detail the insides of your vehicle at home too!
26. Rent or borrow equipment you are only going to use once or twice.
27. Hang clothes outside or on a clothes rack to dry instead of using the clothes dryer.
28. Cancel the cable and/or satellite. Sign for the cheaper Netflix, Hulu, or just watch YouTube videos for free!
29. Drive right by the coffee shop, the convenience store, and the donut shop! Don’t stop!
30. Never, ever shop without a list. The list will help you remember what you are getting (saving extra trips) and you should not be tempted to buy anything else.
31. Meal plan, meal plan, meal plan. Knowing what you are going to make will save you from being tempted to eat out and/or making an extra trip to the grocery store.
32. If you have people coming over for a meal, have everyone bring a dish or their own drinks.
33. Turn old shirts and socks into rags and stop using paper towels!
34. Stay home for the day. Get things done around the house or just chill for the day!
35. Fix your own things and do your work if possible. You can Google or YouTube for instructions.
36. Run errands while on your lunch break or after work. You will save money doing that instead of running them on the weekends.
37. Look at your grocery ads to see what is on sale. Plan your menu around them.
38. Wait 3-7 days before making any major purchases. Sometimes you can find a better deal or realize that you can live without it.
39. When shopping online, add items to your cart and then save it for at least three days. A discount may come along or you may realize that you no longer want those items.
40. Use cash when shopping. When the cash runs out, you are done.
41. Have at-home date nights. Pop in a movie, make your steak dinner, play cards or a game, and chill in the comfort of your home. Going out is so expensive and overrated!
42. Shut off lights in the house and unplug the electronics chargers.
43. Go one step further. Shut off the air conditioning and open the windows. Your house will get aired out and your electric bill will go down. (Of course, use your discretion on this.)
44. Use rags instead of paper towels.
45. If you are able, walk or bike instead of driving.
46. Use your grill or slow cooker instead of your oven in the summer. Keeps the house cooler and saves on electricity.
47. Mend your clothing instead of throwing them away.
48. Get organized. Knowing what you have and where to find will keep you from buying an item that you have and can’t find.
49. Before you make a purchase online, find out if there is a coupon code available. If there is, use it!
50. Stop the kids cold with all the requests to buy stuff at school. I swear I get a new request for a t-shirt every other week. Unless it is necessary for the class or participation, don’t spend the money.
51. Want to hang out with your friends? Invite them over for coffee, tea, or drinks. Take a walk together, watch a movie together, or just hang out and talk!
52. Before purchasing anything, ask yourself if it is a need or a want. If you are really strapped for cash, then you know what you need to answer.
53. Take shorter showers and use cold water to wash laundry to save money on electricity for your water heater and (if you have one) well pump.
54. Wear clothes more than once if you can. Wearing clothes more than once saves you money because you will do less laundry!
55. Down to the bottom of that soap bottle? Doesn’t matter what kind of soap you are using, add a little water to the bottom to get the rest of that soap out!
56. Clean and declutter your house. You will feel better when you have it done and you may never know what you will find! You will also have a lower heating/cooling bill because you won’t be heating/cooling as much stuff.
57. Grow a garden. You will be growing your own food for a lot less money than buying produce in the store.
58. Get rid of the subscription services like Stitch Fix, Just Fab, Birch Box, etc. You are paying a fee for everyone you are subscribed to. Stitch Fix takes $20 out of your account on the month you get a fix and you don’t get that back unless you purchase an overpriced piece of clothing.
59. Buy generic over brand name. I have very few things I am brand loyal too anymore, but OTC medications, body wash, and many more things are just fine as generic!
60. Invest in some mini-scrapers and super skinny scrapers. They will help you get the last of the peanut butter, ketchup, mustard, lotion, etc. By not doing this, you will be throwing money away when you recycle the bottles.
Did you get some ideas? What will you try first? What ideas do you have to save money today?
Thanks for reading,
One thought on “60 Ways To Save Money Today”
It seems I have been doing this all my 80 years, it is a lifestyle and today more than ever it is increasingly expensive. Tough raising families, but also many make higher wages than we did back when. I lived by the Tightwad Gazette. Thanks for a reminder