We are a busy household. A lot of nights we do not eat supper until 7:30 – 8:00 at night. Sometimes we need to make supper on the fly and have something on the table quickly. Sometimes we just want to make something quick and easy because we are tired. This Skillet Spaghetti fits the bill.
This recipe is easy. Very easy! It is a cheap meal to make. It is also made in one large skillet or dutch oven. One-pot meals are my favorite meals. So just about anything made in one pot will get a chance at this household. I based this recipe off of one that I first made 12-15 years ago. I have since changed this recipe and completely lost the original recipe.
Easy Skillet Spaghetti
Serves 4-6 people
1 pound ground beef
1 – 24-ounce jar of pasta (spaghetti) sauce
24 ounces of water
12 ounces spaghetti noodles, broken into thirds
Mozzarella and Parmesan cheese for garnish
1. Brown the ground beef in a large skillet or dutch oven until done. You can drain the grease if you feel you have too much, but I generally do not drain the grease.
2. Add the spaghetti sauce to the ground beef.
Fill the jar back up to the sauce level with the water. Add the water to the skillet and stir.
Bring to just a boil over medium-high heat.
3. Add the broken spaghetti noodles to the skillet and stir. You want the noodles covered with sauce.
Cover the skillet and turn the temperature down to medium-low heat.
4. Let cook for 20-25 minutes, stirring occasionally. The skillet spaghetti will be done when the noodles are cooked and most of the sauce is soaked up.
5. You can sprinkle with mozzarella cheese to make this cheesy. The cheese will melt rather quickly on its own. I usually let people sprinkle their own parmesan cheese.
Serve with garlic bread and a salad if you so desire.
* If the noodles do not seem cooked enough and the sauce is mostly soaked up, you can add 1/2 cup water at a time until the noodles are soft.
* If you use whole wheat spaghetti noodles, most of those boxes are 13-13.5 ounce boxes. You can add an 8 ounce can of tomato sauce to use the whole box.
I know it is so simple, but I believe in giving all busy families the same tools to getting a filling dinner on the table. I hope you enjoy!
Thanks for reading,