A new year and new goals! Yes! One of my goals for the year is to live as frugal of a life as possible. What I was really saying is that we are going on a spending fast. We literally will be cutting back expenses and saving money as much as possible. My finances are not where I want them to be and I need to change that.
What will I be doing to save money in the new year?
1. Unsubscribe to all or all but a few (3-4) emails a day that encourage me to part with my money. Most of the time, I just delete the emails before I read them, but I have moments of weakness and click on them. No more!
2. Commit to spending no money for anything not on the goals list, that is frivolous, or unnecessary.
3. Write out your goals to know where the money needs to go and what needs to save for. Where does your money need to go? What are your goals for the year? Think about the areas of the home/homestead, prepping, financial, gardening, and kids. Set a plan for those goals and how to attain them. Check out my goals here!
4. Commit to becoming debt-free. This is a hard one. I know first hand and am still struggling to become debt-free.
5. Spend less than what is earned. Easier said than done, but self-discipline is crucial.
6. Learn to live on cash.
7. Talk yourself out of purchases.
8. Subscribe to frugally-minded blogs and newsletters for encouragement.
9. Look for money-making opportunities to help pay for projects or pay towards debt.
10. Learn to live without things. “Make do, do without, use it up, wear it out!”
11. Stretch a dollar and make your money go as far as possible.
12. Give yourself some grace. Life is unpredictable and some things are out of our control. Pick yourself back up and get back on track.
13. Find some friends, significant other, and/or family to become an accountability partner. Find similar-minded people to talk to and bounce ideas off of. I talk about this and budgeting in this post!
Each month from here until December, I will be talking about each of these in great length.
Money is important, but should not rule our lives. Make this the year where you take back control!
Thanks for reading,